Sales cover letter sample
View this sample cover letter for a sales representative, or download the sales cover letter template in Word.
As a sales representative, you need to be persuasive in order to seal the deal—that includes when you want to get a job. Your cover letter should demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your work. To be considered for top sales jobs, it helps to have a well-crafted cover letter. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for a sales representative, or download the sales cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about sales careers and search for sales jobs on Monster.
Sales representative cover letter template
Sometown, FL 55555 | 555-555-5555 | email@example.com
July 27, 2017
Ms. Rita Jones
VP of Sales
55 East Second Street
Sometown, FL 55555
Re: Territory Sales Manager, Advertised on Monster
Dear Ms. Jones:
As your next territory sales manager, my focus and energy will be directed toward achieving the same multimillion-dollar growth for your southeast territory that I have delivered for my current and former employers.
I am a dedicated sales professional with experience propelling my assigned regions to record-setting revenue results. I oversee top-producing salesforces; multi-state territories; and retail, wholesale and distributer channels.
In my present role as sales territory manager at XYZ Company as well as in earlier sales positions, I have consistently met or exceeded quotas and expectations. For example, I have:
- Closed $6.8M in 2017 (20% above goal) to achieve a new territory record in overall sales volume at XYZ Company.
- Ranked in the top 5% of sales professionals company-wide throughout my career, including #1 revenue and market-share honors out of 100 colleagues nationwide during my tenure with DEF Company.
- Expanded account base by 23% during a time when industry sales declined by 10%.
Regarded as an expert in consultative sales, account management and salesforce development, I am driven to sell, enjoy teaching others how to sell and take pride in serving my customers and channel partners with excellence.
I look forward to discussing plans for generating new business opportunities within ABC’s southeast territory, and I have some ideas I would like to share with you. The best way to reach me is my cell (555-555-5555) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your time!
Sales Job Seeking Tips
When it comes to tracking jobs in Sales, your cover letter is your personal brand. Use the following advice to make it attention-grabbing.
1. Make sure to include your contact information at the top of your cover letter. The required information includes your city, state, phone number, and email address. You may omit your street address due to privacy and identity theft concerns.
2. List your accomplishments. These are much more meaningful to potential employees than lists of job responsibilities. Make your worth known and bear in mind that you must do one of two things for an employer to prove your value, which is either increasing revenues or decreasing costs.
3. If you are a college student or a recent university graduate, list education before experience. After 12-18 months of work experience, you should list experience before your education.
4. Quantify your experience when possible. Tell employers how much you increased sales, how much money you saved, how many employees you supervised, how many products you represented, etc.
5. Do not emphasize older experience on your cover letter. Any jobs that are more than 15 years old can be mentioned, but list only your job title, employer name, and location for each.