In the past, children were raised mostly by their biological parents. In the rare case they were not, they had either to survive on the streets or live in orphanages. However, times have changed, and today children can be raised in single-parent families, by grandparents, foster parents, stepparents, or other parenting figures—all this is due to the procedure of adoption, which has become common worldwide. However, the occurrence of adoption has a number of features that distinguish it from a simple residence of a child in a family.
Adoption is a way to provide parenting care to children whose biological mothers and fathers have no opportunities or wish to take care of them. It is a procedure that establishes a lifelong legally-recognized relationship between an adoptive parent and a child. In such case, a parenting figure takes on all the responsibilities of the adopted child’s safety, education, healthcare, development of life skills, welfare, and other factors regarding to the child (CHS).
Once an adoption has been granted to guardian parents, it can no longer be reversed; stated succinctly, guarded parents cannot refuse to take further care of a child they have decided to take from an orphanage or elsewhere. In their turn, after being adopted, children lose their former legal boundaries with their biological parents, and become full members of their adopted families, usually taking their last name (Royal Greenwich). Adopted children are also granted the same rights and privileges (including the right of inheritance) as if they were biological children of guardian parents (Niderect).
There can exist different kinds of adoption procedures. In particular, in Canada, four types of adoption are recognized: private, public, international, and relative adoption. By private adoption, birth or expectant parents are connected with a possible guardian family with the help of an adoption professional; public adoption implies arranging a connection with aspiring guardian parents through specialized organizations; international adoption implies adopting a child from another country. Finally, relative adoption means adopting a child by a stepparent or another close relative: grandparents, uncles, cousins, and so on (Adoption Council of Ontario).
In order to be able to become an guardian parent, a person should match certain criteria. Usually adoption agencies require candidate parents to be at least 21, but other factors are individual, meaning that agencies analyze each applicant’s circumstances on a case-by-case basis (Nidirect).
Adoption is a way for children who have no parents to feel the benefits of parental care. It is a legal procedure that implies that guardian parents take the responsibility of an adopted child. In their turn, adopted children have the same rights and privileges as if they were biological children of guardian parents. This procedure has different types, including adoption of foreign children or adoption by close relatives; but, regardless of the type, it cannot be reversed.
“What is Adoption.” Children’s Home Society of West Virginia. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Jan. 2014. <http://adoption.childhswv.org/seeking/wia.htm>.
“Introduction to Adoption.” Royal Greenwich. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Jan. 2014. <http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/160/adoption/818/introduction_to_adoption>.
“What is Adoption?” What is Adoption? N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Jan. 2014. <https://www.adoption.on.ca/what-is-adoption>.
“What is Adoption?” Nidirect. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Jan. 2014. <http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/what-is-adoption>.
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- 80+ essay types
- 1000+ essay samples
- Pro writing tips
Related Writing Guides
Writing a Definition Essay
Top 115 Proposal Essay Topics – Examples for College Students
A proposal essay is very simple to understand. You are to come up with an idea and provide some evidence. It is important to mention that the idea doesn’t have to be a good one. In this case, you are to prove that it can be carried out into practice. Here are the best proposal essay ideas from the various spheres.
A Student’s Lifestyle
- How to make the home study more effective.
- How can students make their schools more successful?
- What are the best ways to rest during the studying semester?
- How to become a better reader? What can we really learn from books?
- How to become less responsive without getting an emotional block.
- What should students do to be more tolerant of others?
- How to make your outfit reflect your individuality without being controversial?
- The best ways to accept the society and make it accept you.
- The ways to succeed in studies without being exhausted.
- What can students do to make their schools a safer place?
It is easier for a student to write about something relevant. That is why proposal essays about students life are very popular.
Motivation Proposal Essay Topics
- Is money a good motivator? How to look forward to your future without being terrified about your income.
- How should students be taught to take a failure?
- How can we learn from other people’s mistakes?
- Happiness is in your head: The psychological tricks to become happier.
- How to come to terms with the fact that perfectionism is wrong and destructive?
- How to visualize your future right?
- How to prevent an emotional breakdown during the exams.
- How can students make their contact sports experience at college beneficial for the future life?
Motivational issues are really interesting for college students. A proposal essay on such a topic allows one to get and to share motivation.
Curriculum Proposal Essay Ideas
- Is it reasonable to exclude the theory of evolution from the curriculum?
- Should students be allowed to choose courses in their curriculum? Are there any negative consequences of this freedom?
- Can we pick the length of our education at university?
- The reasons to include happiness studies to the curriculum.
- Are there any progressive ways to combine religion, psychology, and science on the curriculum?
- Should religious studies be a part of the curriculum? How to make it work for all the confessions?
- How to improve sexual education at school.
- Do schools need any physical activity on the curriculum?
- Is there any useless knowledge we get at school?
- Should students be tested regularly?
This is one of the top proposal essay subjects. The point is that students always want to change something about their education. Curriculum proposal topics is a way to try.
- What newest trends of psychology should teachers use to improve the class performance.
- Why does educational process depend equally on students and teachers? How can both parties make it more effective?
- The ways to talk about sexual education without making anyone uncomfortable.
- The best ways to benefit from a course you don’t like.
- Do we have to return to the same-sex classes to improve students’ performance?
- Do we still need grades at school? Other ways to monitor and improve students’ performance.
- Do schools need to ban typing lectures?
- Can teachers tell small kids about the negative aspects of life?
- The studying techniques that should be banned from school.
- The studying techniques useful for both students and teachers.
- How can teachers raise their students’ self-esteem and what are the reasons to do so?
- The ways of estimating student physical activity at school.
- The ways students should be taught about their health.
- How can teachers ‘protect’ their students from procrastinating?
- How can teachers help their students overcome the psychological pressure in class?
The list of proposal topics wouldn’t be full without teaching teachers how to teach. Any ideas on how the educational process can be improved go under this category.
- What example should parents set to make their children more successful in life?
- The ways parents can influence their children without pushing.
- Physical punishment at home: How can the society liquidate it completely?
- What is the best alternative to punishing children?
- Should children be rewarded for good performance at school?
- Should parents pay children for doing household chores? What are other ways to motivate children?
- How can parents motivate their children not to postpone important tasks?
- Can parents let their children do whatever they want? The discipline in ‘freedom.’
- The objective reason why parents blame schools for spoiling their children. The ways to share responsibility.
- Why we take misunderstanding for hatred: The ways to overcome excessively strong emotions in parent-children relationships.
This category is rather close to the previous one in its message. Students analyze the mistakes made by their own and their fellow students’ parents to suggest a solution that would satisfy all the parties.
- Should you start traditions in the family? The importance of family traditions.
- How to compromise in the family: Meat eaters and vegans.
- How to compromise in the family: Different religious beliefs.
- How to compromise in the family: Generation gap.
- What are the ways to become more respectful of your family?
This category constitutes good proposal essay topics. Unlike the topics about parenting, students get an opportunity to analyze their own behavior and attitude.
The Internet and Mass Media
- How can we control the information we get from the Internet?
- Should we ban children from watching TV?
- How can parents teach their children to use the Internet at the best value?
- Should there be any responsibility for taking pictures and videos of people without their permission?
- The lessons of censoring the Internet in other countries: Is there something we can adopt?
- The ways to use social media to increase students’ productivity.
- Is the student-teacher communication in social media ethical?
- How to see the truth in the Internet headlines: The lessons of information wars
- How should students respond to cyberbullying?
- The ways to prevent cyber crimes.
These are really easy proposal essay topics because they concern everybody in the contemporary world.
Acute Social Problems Relevant for College Students
- The ways to increase the social responsibility of students.
- What can we do to make our cities cleaner?
- Should subcultures be monitored by educational institutions? The benefits of diversity.
- What is wrong with today’s attitude towards disabled people? Is there anything left to change?
- What can schools do to reduce the number of suicides among students?
- If your friend got a problem: What can we do to prevent drug and alcohol addiction.
- How can you help a friend in depression?
- What can we do to make reading more popular?
- How should the government regulate book prices to make people read more?
- Why has feminism returned? How to prevent sexism at school.
- What are the ways the country can help orphans find new families?
- How to make your driving safer?
Proposal essay topics with solutions may concern some moral and ethical issues of the society.
Government and Society
- In what way the educational system can be improved by the government?
- Is there still need for the capital punishment?
- Should organizers and activists be punished for flash mobs?
- Should government control the birth rate?
- How to improve the medical insurance policy. Does it serve patients, hospitals or both?
- The ways to understand the bureaucracy? What are the benefits of this concept?
- Why do we often underestimate the experience of the past? How to become more mindful on the level of society?
- The ways to improve economic situation without limiting immigration.
- Should we ban human genetic engineering?
- How to make genetic engineering work for, not against, us?
These are proposals that should (or shouldn’t) be implemented on the governmental level. Usually, they deal with improving various policies and overall quality of living in the country.
- The effective ways to convince a child to choose a healthy lifestyle.
- Do healthy nutrition basics have to be taught at schools?
- Debates about health: Are they to be banned from schools for being too subjective?
- What are the healthy alternatives to caffeine?
- How to choose your sleep pattern?
- How can we combine fun and healthy lifestyle?
- The safest ways for students to improve their health without medication.
- Do we need drug tests in college sports teams?
- Why should we stop discussing marijuana legalization?
- The problem of smoking among the youth: Can we stop it once and for all?
Staying healthy is one of the major trends. There is plenty of information about it on the Web.
Proposal Essays on Environmental Protection and Animal Rights
- The ways to be more responsible for your pets.
- How to protect animal rights without becoming too radical.
- Are there ways ordinary people can reduce a global warming threatening?
- How can we motivate others to save the planet?
- Do we still need to bother about environmental protection? What can we change?
Not too many students pick a proposal essay topic from this category. It can be explained by the fact that a lot of young people still don’t have a clear position on the subject. Although, these topics are very interesting too.
- Is the client always right? How to be a good customer.
- How should corporations reward the employees, apart from paying money?
- How to build a corporate ethical policy?
- The best ways to set your company mission.
- How the problem of resistance to change can be solved at the workplace.
- An inexperienced worker: How to find your way after college.
- How the problem of resistance to change can be solved at the workplace.
- An inexperienced worker: How to find your way after college.
- The ways to influence corporate policies acceptable to students.
- The ways to improve corporate responsibility of a company.
These topics are not just for those who study management, HR, and economics. After all, everybody will face these issues in the future career.
Hopefully, the topic samples and proposal paper prompts that we have collected for you will help you to get more motivated. Once you get an idea, the process of writing is going to be much easier.